Thursday, July 06, 2006

July 5, 2006

Today, as I was fighting the crowds to get on a mini-bus to take me home, I was finally able to squeeze on and find a seat. But the bus didn’t move, and everyone on board just stared at me. “Tikur Anbassa?” I said, making sure I was on the right bus. Everyone nodded, yet continued to stare. The bus didn’t move. So I asked again “Tikur Anbassa?” Yes, everyone nodded. This bus was definitely headed to my destination. Still no one moved, still everyone stared. I knew something was wrong, but I could not figure it out. The boy who collects the money kept staring at me, as if he had something to say. Of course, he couldn’t say it, as he doesn’t speak english. I was beginning to feel pretty uncomfortable, so I asked one more time: “Tikur Anbassa?” Finally, someone spoke up in broken English: “Yes, this bus goes to Tikur Anbassa, but we are full, and you are the extra.” So, I quickly got off, and everyone seemed happy again.

The ironic thing is I got on the next available mini-bus, and it was packed with more people than there were seats! I guess that is part of the way things work here in Ethiopia.

1 Comments:

At 4:18 AM, Blogger My name is Stephen said...

maybe you need to take a shower

 

Post a Comment

<< Home